Just read an article on bloomberg about the new list of "7 social sins" that the Roman Catholic church published this week. I am assuming that these supplement and don't replace the 7 deadly ones. Here is the list:
- Bioethical violations such as birth control
- Morally dubious experiments such as stem cell research
- Drug abuse
- Polluting the environment
- Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor
- Excessive wealth
- Creating poverty
I, obviously, do have some thought about this.
- "Bioethical violations such as birth control" - I'm staying out of the birth control debate because it's a battle I can't win. I will point out that it does little when it comes to circumventing G_d's will (if He wants you to be pregnant, no amount of latex will stop Him).
- "Morally dubious experiments such as stem cell research" - Leaving abortion on the side for a minute... better yet let's not, let's say abortion is murder then how is stem cell research any different then experiments on cadavers donated to science? I haven't heard many people committing murder to help science lately. Saying stem cell research supports abortion is like saying organ donation is supporting murder
- "Excessive wealth" - It's not the wealth that's the problem, it's what you do with it. You can't say that Waren Buffett's or Bill Gate's wealth is a problem as they are giving it away. Jesus said "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" He did not say it was impossible.
The others all seem to be restatements of other sins greed for 5 and 7... (what is the difference between Creating Poverty and Widening divide between rich and poor anyway?) , sloth and or greed for 4 depending on your motivation, gluttony for 3,