1 med. chopped onion
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can crushed Italian tomatoes
1 tsp. leaf basil, crumbled
1/2 tsp. leaf oregano
1/4 c. dry red or white wine
6 deboned chicken breasts pounded thin
3/4 c. dry Italian bread crumbs
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
Setup the Chicken
1. Whisk Egg in a shallow dish
2. Combine Breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese, Salt and Pepper
3. Dip Cutlets in egg then breadcrumb mixture
4. Refrigerate for 15-30 mins to firm up the crust
While that's happening make the sauce..
5. Saute onion in olive oil in medium size heavy saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
6. Add garlic; saute 1 minute more.
7. Stir in undrained tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato paste and wine.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. Reduce heat slightly; simmer until thick, 15-20 minutes.
Now back to the Chicken
Browning the Chicken
10. In a heavy, oven safe skillet heat the olive oil
11. Brown the chicken cutlets until each side is brown and crisp, (about 2 to 3 mins on each side)
12. Pat cutlets dry with a paper towel.
Putting it together
12. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
13. Remove excess oil from skillet
14. Add 2 Cups of sauce to the skillet
15. Place cutlets in the pan.
16. Cover each with a little sauce, and mozzarella
17. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins (until cheese is melted)
18. Serve with spaghetti, the remaining sauce and salad.